Baron Girls Soccer Team Win First Sectional Title

posted Oct 14, 2013, 5:45 AM by webmaster district   [ updated Oct 14, 2013, 5:45 AM ]
Oster’s goal in extra time propels Barons past Leo

KENDALLVILLE — It’s hard to choose which dramatic moment to lead off with: DeKalb’s coach collapsing on the pitch at halftime, DeKalb’s goalkeeper making a save on a penalty kick, or the Barons scoring the match winner in extra time.

Regardless, DeKalb’s girls soccer players are going to have a story to tell for a long time. Andrea Oster’s goal three minutes into extra time in Saturday’s Class 2A Sectional 9 final against Leo gave the Barons a 2-1 lead, and they held the Lions off in the final 11 minutes to win the program’s first sectional title in school history.

“I just couldn’t believe we had finally won,” Oster said. “Our team deserves to win. We have been working so hard for this. As soon as I put it in, I just knew we were going to keep it up and put higher intensity on and just finish the game.

“It just means everything. We’ve never won sectionals.”

The scariest moment of the match came right after the halftime horn. DeKalb coach Sam Weight collapsed on the pitch as players were walking off the field. Weicht stayed down for more than 15 minutes as he was attended to by multiple people — some of which were trained medical personnel — and the ambulance was called. Weicht was in communication with everyone throughout however, as he was suffering from pain in his chest.

While Weicht was eventually put on a stretcher and placed in the ambulance, the ambulance never left East Noble High School. Weicht was checked out by EMTs and, in the second half, was released on his own recognizance and walked back on to the DeKalb sideline.

Weicht said he has nerve damage in his chest suffered during his days of active duty in the army, and it hadn’t flared up for 12 years — until Saturday.

“I wasn’t going anywhere,” Weicht said. “This was too special. These girls have worked too hard for this and I wanted to see it. It wasn’t life-threatening, I knew what it was.

“I’m safe and I’m not going to die from it. Every once in a while it puts me down. But I’ll be fine. This is so much better.”

Said DeKalb senior Madison VanWye: “We just had to stay focused. We just wanted to do it for him because he’s been a great coach.”

Leo (13-4-1) held a vast majority of the possession, and kept the ball in DeKalb’s defensive half for much of the final 65 minutes of regulation. But the Barons held off a handful of solid Lion scoring chances to force extra time.

Oster’s goal came at the perfect time for DeKalb. VanWye drew a foul just two yards outside the penalty box, and the usual kick-taker, Katie Hamlin, was on the sideline with a back injury suffered in the third minute of the match. That left Oster to take the kick.

“At first I was really nervous,” Oster said. “All the pressure was on me. I saw there was a big gap where the goalie was and where the wall was. I knew that if I got it through the wall, the goalie wasn’t going to get it. The wall was really tall so there’s no way the goalie could see over them. I just did my best to put it in. I just forgot everyone was watching and placed it right.”

From there, the Barons held off Leo although the Lions did put together a couple decent chances.

The biggest play in regulation came from DeKalb sophomore goalkeeper Allie Gaff. In the 59th minute, DeKalb junior defender Kayla Kissinger was called for a foul in the penalty box. Leo’s Hannah Tkacz stepped up to take the PK, only to see Gaff turn it away with a save to her left.

“Nine times out of 10 that ball’s going in and she did a great job,” Weicht said. “She’s done that all year long. At Carroll she stopped an ungodly amount of shots.”

DeKalb took a 1-0 lead in the 11th minute when VanWye had a blocked ball come right to her and she curled it in from 15 yards out. Leo equalized nine minutes later when Tkacz scored off a long throw-in.

From there, the Lions out-possessed the Barons by a considerable margin, but failed to get the go-ahead goal.

“All week long we talked about how they were fast and they were going to pressure us, and we had to play inside ourselves,” Weicht said. “You may not have the ball at your end of the field, but knowing we can control it, we can keep it in there and when it goes down we got to be able to capitalize on it.”

DeKalb also nearly took this game in regulation. Sophomore Marisa Robinett’s free kick from 30 yards out nearly went in, with Leo keeper Toby Carman getting a glove on it at the last second to knock it wide.

DeKalb plays Bellmont (12-6) at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the East Noble Regional semifinal, following the winner between Homestead vs. either Carroll or Fort Wayne Snider. The Barons defeated Bellmont 3-1 on Sept. 30.

“I’ve never experienced something like this. I’m so happy right now,” VanWye said. “We never gave up. We kept going and we had our chances and we got one in.”

Article from The Star on Sunday, October 13, 2013 -- Written by Phil Friend