Honoring Dr. Lida Leasure

posted May 16, 2014, 5:36 AM by webmaster district   [ updated May 19, 2014, 5:50 AM ]
   

The DeKalb Central school district recognized Dr. Lida Leasure and her accomplishments Saturday when it unveiled a sign at the district’s central office, renaming the building the Dr. Lida Leasure Center for Educational Excellence. DeKalb Central school board president Jay Baumgartner read a resolution adopted by the board that notes Leasure’s achievements and contributions to education. She came to Auburn in 1878 and taught high school for several years. In 1888, she graduated from the University of Michigan as a doctor of medicine and practiced for several years in northeast Indiana. She resumed her teaching duties in Auburn in 1903 and served as principal of Riley School. In 1911 she was elected county superintendent of schools in DeKalb County, becoming the first female to hold an elected office in Indiana and the first female to be elected as a countywide public school superintendent. Leasure also was involved in many civic activities. From left are school district superintendent Sherry Grate, Baumgartner and members of Leasure’s family, Kathy Leasure, Kent Leasure, Amiee McGrath, Luke Killigrew, Connie Killigrew, Kyle Killigrew, Peter Bergmann and Nancy Bergmann.

Article posted from The Star on Sunday, May 18, 2014 - By Kathryn Bassett