Congratulations, your child is about to begin kindergarten! This is a very exciting time for your whole family. You may be wondering if your child is ready for this big step!
We have created ideas on how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, but they are not a requirement. The only requirement that DeKalb Central Schools has to begin kindergarten is that students must be at least 5-years-old by August 1st.
- Social & Emotional Skill
- Gets along with others
- Respects self, others, and property
- Can be independent of parent(s)
- Talk to your child
- Talking builds brain connections, language and listening skills, and prepares your child for reading.
- Read to your child
- Talk about the pictures and what is happening in the story.
- Ask questions. What do you think will happen next? What did you like best about the story?
- Involve your child in everyday life
- Sing and play
- Learn rhymes
- Help with chores
- Draw pictures
Visit Before 5 for additional ideas and resources!